Welcome to Inacityliving - with over 10,000 Photographs - The History of Liverpool in Pictures

Sum Skools

Click on the first image to view all photographs in 'Lightbox' (TM)

For a quick search whilst on this page press Ctrl +F (Windows) or Alt+F (Mac) and enter the street/place you are looking for.

Sum Skools 

Our outlook on our time in school is probably tinted with exaggeration either one way or the other. Rose tinted glasses for those of academic ability, hatred and all things negative for those who appeared less than gifted, but wasn't it John Lennon's teacher who said he'd amount to nothing - so much for that then.

Actually, the reality is probably somewhere in between but we always only seem to remember the extremes one way or the other. I personally recall with fondness my time at Bishop Goss, Grosvenor Street and then later at the 'big' school which was St. Gregory's up on Prince Edwin Street. Even what might be deemed to some as bad experiences can often be looked back on in the context of the time.

These were in the days when you'd walk to school - no 4x4 personal taxis back then lining the street, half on, half off the kerb. If it snowed, which it always did in the winter, much jollification was to be had en route and blazers would be left to dry on the old cast iron radiators during the morning. And, those six weeks summer holidays were always scorching, they were, honest.

At mid morning the triangular cartons of milk would be distributed, remember piercing that little silver dot of foil with your straw. Playtime was my favourite lesson and just as important as any classroom for social interaction. A trip up onto the roof playground was a rare treat but what great views to the West and across to the Welsh mountains on a sunny day.

Things were a bit more serious in the secondary modern and this was only to be expected. Three or four primary schools would merge, the 'cocks' like cats would mark their territory. 'So and so will put your head down the bog and flush it you know' - the older kids were to be feared. It was reported by older mates who were already indoctrinated into the big school way of life complete with difficult homework that the teachers would cane you at will, throw blackboard dusters at you, keep you in detention for hours etc etc.

It very seldom happened but by the time you figured this out you had left, still in one piece - unscathed.

The Liverpool Records office once again come up trumps in archiving old school buildings in photographs, again, quite a lot of them taken by Harry Ainscough during the 1960s and 70s.  Don't forget you can use the use the 'CTRL + F -ALT + F facility' to search for your school. if you need it. 

For a truly fantastic site on Liverpool's schools click here
And for some Council archive information click  here
Top left is Cross Farm County Primary in 1982. Built in 1971 it is situated on Victoria Falls Road in Netherley. Bottom left is Mathew Arnold School, Dingle in 1983, built in 1908 - demolished 1998 and above is Anfield County primary in 1972. The wording on the wall says: Walton on the hill school board Anfield Road School. It was built in 1885, Bessie Braddock went here until leaving aged 15 in 1914.

Lawrence Road school in 1971. The top of the bell tower now sits in the old playground which are in the grounds of the new resource centre. Holly Lodge girls high school in 1975. Built in 1922 and originally fee paying, this is the Mill Lane entrance near to the Jolly Miller public house. 

It's 1972 for these two. King David Jewish High School in Childwall Road was built in 1957 (extended in 1964) and Northway County primary in Waldgrave Road, Wavertree Garden suburb looks the same today as it did when built in 1927. 

Roscoe Primary, Ballantyne Road in 1973. Originally Lisburn Lane school but renamed in honour of William Roscoe later. Next, Shorefields Comp in Dingle Vale in 1983. Ringo Starr went here when not suffering in hospital from one of his numerous childhood illnesses. They didn't even know he'd attended there when he asked for his leavers reference yet somehow managed to churn his old desk out for future summer fayres :o) 

St Cleopas Primary school, Beresford Road, Toxteth in 1969, built in 1871. Next, St. Edwards college, Sandfield Park in 1967, having re-sited from St. Domingo Road, Everton in 1938. 

You've heard the saying 'It's a cardinal sin...' Well here's Cardinal Heenan school in Honeysgreen Lane, West Derby in 1975 when it was known as Cardinal Allen before amalgamating in 1983. Next is a 1972 view of Cardinal Godfrey school in Breckfield Road South, now the site of a supermarket. 

St. John's Juniors girls school, Sessions Road, Kirkdale, formerly part of Walton technical college. The photo on the right is of St. Hugh's in Earle Road was built in 1928.

Alsop High School, Queens Drive - Walton in 1967 which has since been greatly extended. The main school hails from 1926, the lower from 1956. Ex LFC manager Gerard Houlier once taught here. Belle Vale County Primary, built in 1952 is pictured here in 1976.

Walton Junior School and Broadsquare County Primary in 1975. 

St. Margaret's, Anfield and a 1969 pic of St. Silas in High Park Street, Dingle. The primary school of Richard Starkey (Ringo Starr) and Ron Wycherley (Billy Fury)

It's playtime, ah- my favourite.   TL: West Derby junior school. TR: Sudley primary school, Dundonald Road. BL: St. Charles RC School in 1969. Built in 1896 and situated on Aigburth Road. BR: Netball for P.E. for the girls of New Heys comp in 1976. This school in Heath Road was originally Gilmour Seniors.

Now we all know that gud Inglish is a virtue and should be accomplished by all, espshally spelling. Not so, as the human mind has the powers to overcum such things, try this:
The pweor of the hmuan mnid.

Aoccdrnig to rsecearh at cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosnt mttaer in what oredr the ltteers in a wrod are.

The olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can slitl raed it wouthit a porbelm.

Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef but the wrod as a wlohe.


Now.... back to the thing I found easiest - pictures.

St. Lawrences on Croylands Street, Kirkdale dating from 1873 and merging in 1990 with Westminster Road.   St.Oswalds, Old Swan dates from 1845.

Pinehurst Road Primary school in 1972 and Palmerston Special school in 1986. Palmerston is in Beaconsfield Road, Woolton, in the same road as the famous Strawberry Field.

St. Finbar's Catholic School, South Hill Road, Toxteth, built in 1948 followed by St. Gregory's Catholic Primary in Montreal Road, Netherley and only built in 1971.

St. Annes, Overbury Street, Edge Hill in 1968. This was rebuilt in 1955 from a building originating in 1871. Right: Croxteth Comp, Stonebridge Lane in 1981. This opened as Parkstile in 1939 becoming Stonebridge in 1956. It closed in 1982 when the pupils were transferred to Ellergreen but now has re-opened as Crocky Comp.

Everton Brow school in 1967 viewed from Salisbury Street. St. Annes was situated on the corner of Christian Street and Springfield Street. It was originally Christ Church School, its church being in nearby Hunter Street to the rear of Gianelli's chippy. It is pictured here in 1958.

Barlows County Primary in 1973 hailed from 1912 though the infants was added a decade later, also pictured is Sandfield Park in the same year.

Comings and goings at Speke Comp (Central Avenue) and Much Woolton C of E school, School Lane in 1971. Reputedly from 1610, this still functions as an educational establishment.

Bishop Goss school. The 1876 part seen here fronted onto Cazneau Street, the iron fire escape was removed in the early 1970s. I attended this old building from 1967-69 when it housed the infants though it was previously the junior and senior school prior to the building of St. Gregory's RCSM nearby in the early 1960s. The 1949 red brick junior school (seen on the right of the first picture) is where I attended from 1969-73 and this was entered via Grosvenor Street. Both buildings still exist in new guises, the school accomodated over 1300 children in its heyday but closed in the early 1990s.

This is the lower school of St. Gregory's, Prince Edwin Street which contained the woodwork rooms and Gymnasium as well as some ordinary classes though it was the upper school which was used more often. It became Campion in 1981 when Campion, Salisbury Street amalgamated with it and closed for good itself in 2007.

A grim and murky day across St. Francis De Sales, Hale Road, Walton in 1980, I can well remember looking forlornly out of classroom windows at scenes like this when in my schools. Rudston Primary near to Childwall fiveways is also pictured here in 1972 celebrating its 40th birthday

St. Paul's RC Primary with the obligatory ford transit school minibus in shot. Northcote Primary seen here in 1999. Did Prince attend there? Northcote, on the road of the same name in Walton hailed from 1885 and was a free school in 1903. Now demolished, a replacement was built on Cavendish Drive.

Our lady of Immaculate school on Northumberland Terrace in 1967 with top views across Everton below. Broughton Hall, Yew Tree Lane, West Derby is pictured in 1975 and formed as part of the convent of mercy, St Agnes and St. Margaret Mary girls school converging into one.

Mabel Fletcher Technical college, Sandown Road, Wavertree as pictured in 1972. C.F. Mott college, based at The Hazels was on Liverpool Road, Longview.

Lambeth Road school in 1967 in the Kirkdale area of Liverpool. This closed in 1982 when it joined with John Hamilton secondary. West Derby comp is pictured here with pleasant shrubbery aflower.

Childwall sports college pictured in 1978. St. Margarets C of E High school for boys pictured in 1969.

Riversdale Technical College, Riversdale Road, Grassendale and on the right the former Whitefield Road Methodist church school pictured in September 1972 which was situated in White Rock Street. Ogdens tobacco works is in the distance on the left.

Chatsworth Street board school. Pictured here in 1969, it was built in 1873 and closed in the 1990s but now serves as Smithdown primary. St Catherines was built in 1965 on Heriot Street, Kirkdale in the customary 1960s glass, concrete, glass, concrete layered system. It closed in 1983 when it joined with St. Johns Collegiate to form Notre Dame High School.

Allerton Road School as pictured in 1937. Next is the Florence Melly School, Walton which opened in 1927. Named after the daughter of a merchant shipowner, George Melly, (but not that one), the school won an architectural design award for the way the building had glass walls and verandas enclosing a courtyard and thus giving it the description of an open air school.

Are you here? It's Banks Road school, Garston as photographed in 1999. Now demolished, it was built in 1904 as a board school. That figures, I was bored in school most of the time too. The next pic is of St. Francis Xaviers, aka SFX and Campion. It was built on Salisbury Street in the highly populated Everton in 1870 as a Catholic High school, it is pictured here in 1979. In 1981, the pupils were moved to the former St. Gregory's school on Prince Edwin Street which then changed its name to Campion. That school too closed down in 2007.

Archbishop Whiteside school, built in Silvester Street 1963 was named after Thomas Whiteside, Catholic bishop of Liverpool from 1894 to 1911 and then first archbishop of Liverpool from 1911 until his death in 1921. It was renamed St. Brigids high school in 1982   but closed in 1993.

Gateacre Comprehensive on Grange Lane was built in 1958, so one of the first in the design that would be commonplace in new builds throughout the 1960s.

Dove Street School is seen here during the wartime as ARPs undertake decontamination exercises in the courtyard. The Juniors wing, built in 1840 can be seen to the rear, the extension to the right housed the infants and was built 23 years later. Originally part of St. Clements it effectively closed as a stand alone school in 1934, becoming an annexe of Tiber Street school.

Garstons CofE School off Banks Road took in childrens from Banks Road school when built.

Granton Road School, Everton was built in 1881 and also shared the name 'Breckfield' with Venice Street board school from 1928.

Harrison Jones School was in West Derby Street from 1914, it closed for good in 1983. Frankie Abelson, better known to one and all as Frankie Vaughan was a pupil there.

Three in Kirkby:

Ruffwood Comp on Roughwood Drive (left) was one of the first purpose built comprehensives in the country when it opened in the late 1950s. St. Chads (Top right) in School Lane, Kirkby was built by Lord Sefton in 1806.

St. Kevins (bottom right) was one of the largest comps in the country when it opened. It closed in 1973, joining with St. Gregory's, Kirkby to form All Saints. (no, not the girl pop group)

Hope Street Hebrew Institute in Hope Place was built in 1841 and is pictured here in 1890. 

Sefton Park School on Bagot Street, Toxteth, seen here before its alteration into Holt Secondary. Hailing from 1895, a supermarket now sits on this site.

St. Saviours, Upper Canning Street. Built in 1856, it is pictured here in 1967.

St. Christophers RC Primary school on Tarbock Road, Speke. Built in 1950. Woolton School situated on Out Lane is a 1957 offering.

The rather unusually named St. Paschal Baylon Catholic School on Chelwood Avenue, Childwall. It was only built in 1973, this picture being taken just 5 years later.
Norman Pannell County Primary built in Netherley in 1968 on Brownbill Bank was to serve the new housing in the area. It is pictured here in 1982.

Knotty Ash School pictured in 1974 was built in 1875 and enlarged in 1882.

St. Bridgets, Limekiln Lane pictured in 1927 was by then celebrating its half century. Built to house 1000 pupils it backed onto Bevington Hill in this densely populated area of Vauxhall.

Heyworth Street C.P. was built in 1897 when Everton was choked with housing. The infants closed in 1970, joining with Steers Street to form Everton Park infants, the juniors was to close 5 years later.

St. Margaret Mary's RCSM was built on Pilch Lane in 1934. The infants opened two years later, the secondary modern, not until 1959. It finally closed in in 1983 due to reorganisations within the education system, the boys went to Cardinal Heenan, the girls going to Broughton Hall.

Seen earlier from different perspectives, New Heys Comp Lower School is seen here on Heath Road in 1976. New Heys was named after a merchant house built in the area.

Speke County Secondary Upper School is seen here in 1975.

Liverpool college for girls as seen on Grove Street Circa 1950.

Blackburn House situated at No.1 Blackburne Place is a high school for girls linked to the nearby Liverpool Institute and college of Art on Mount Street and Hope Street respectively. Pictured here in 1975, it is Grade II listed.

Holt Comprehensive, formerly Holt High on Queens Drive, Olive Mount was built in 1907 It closed in 1985 when it joined with Childwall Valley girls school to become Childwall Community Comp. It is pictured here in 1971.

Cardinal Newman Catholic Secondary for Boys, also on Queens Drive in Childwall was built in 1962. Seen here in 1971, it has since been demolished.

Fazakerley day open air special school for delicate children. Seen here is a gardening lesson - 1938 style, when it opened. It closed in the 1990s.

St. Vincent's school for the blind and partially sighted based at Yew Tree Lane, West Derby is pictured here in its serene grounds in 1975. Founded (as the Catholic Blind Institute) in a house at number 16, Islington, it moved to St Anne St in 1851, then Brunswick Street in 1866. As it grew, it was decided in 1899 to build separate accommodation for the children. Originally, boys and girls alternated for six month periods. In 1927 a boys' wing was added so that all children could be at the school all the time.

Bluecoat school in Wavertree in its second form having first been established at School Lane in Liverpool city centre when it was built by Brian Blundell. Dating from 1905, the famous bell tower landmark wasn't added until a decade later. It is pictured here in 1972. 

Crown Street school for the deaf pictured in 1968.

lice Elliot school for the deaf in Childwall Lane - 1971. I remember our St. Gregs footy team playing these in 1975. It subsequently became Ashfield School.

Liverpool Collegiate pictured here in 1909 was founded in 1840. The Shaw St site opened in 1843, the school aimed to provide an appropriate mixture of commerce, science and religion for boys of the middle classes. The Upper School moved to Lodge Lane in 1884. This became a public school in 1907, when the Collegiate transferred to the Local Authority. Renowned scouse scholars were Ted Ray, Arthur Askey and Leonard Rossiter. The school continued on the Shaw St site as Liverpool Collegiate until closure in 1985. At this time the Headteacher (Mr E. Clarke) retired and the school amalgamated to form Breckfield. After a fire and revamp, these are now student apartments

St. Edmunds prep school (left) was built in 1901, this CofE Mixed Secondary School became a girls only school around 1912. It moved from Colquitt St to Devonshire Road around 1925 and merged with Liverpool Girls’ College to form Archbishop Blanch in 1981.

The Seaman's orphanage on Orphan Drive within Sefton Park opened on 14th January 1874 taking in 114 children. It had its own school throughout and after a visit by Queen Victoria in 1886 it became the Royal Liverpool Seamen’s Orphanage. It closed as an orphanage on 27th July 1949, the Ministry of Health buying the building 2 years later and opening it as the Park Hospital until its closure in 1988.
Right, Seafield House was built in 1882 as a hydro, but was not successful and was taken over by the sisters of the Sacred Heart of Mary in 1884. They opened a school there and remained until 1908 when they moved to new premises in Liverpool Rd, Crosby and took the name with them. Alumni include Cherie Blair. It amalgamated with St Bede’s to form Sacred Heart College in 1976.

All Saints Infants on Oakfield, Anfield, pictured in 1972. The 1960s Townsend Lane site was originally for the seniors and called Queen of All Saints. Some time in the 1980s, the seniors relocated to another site up by Mill rd hospital and renamed   'Our lady of Fatima' - the juniors took over Townsend and kept the name All Saints but dropped the Queen. The infants where seperate up on Oakfields, where they still are today. The Townsend lane site was recently demolished and a new extension has been built up at Oakfields so the juniors can merge with the infants. The seniors are now in with Francis Assisi academy. Newsham Park. Info with thanks to Linda Williamson.

The original Roscommon Street school which was demolished in the 1930s. The fine red brick replacement which has also since been demolished can be seen on other pages on this site. This photo is with thanks to Rossy old boy Samp who is helping archive the Everton area via the Shrewsbury House youth club.

The Friary school as seen from Bute Street in 1983. This was attached to St. Mary of the angels church on Fox street which too was known as the Friary due to its connections to the Franciscian Monks. The Friary school which fronts onto Everton Brow is now a faith school.

Three more views of Anfield County Primary taken by Harry Ainscough on 6th November 1972 so the kids will be busying themselves with chat of the previous nights bonfires and fireworks. Now stored in the Liverpool records office, these views are from Douglas Road, Feltwell Road and showing the girls entrance in Anfield Road.

Four views of various parts of Booker Avenue County Primary school. The first three are from 1976 and the one bottom right is from 1971.

The senior boys room of Brae Street school, Kensington in 1888 when brand new even though it looks well lived in. 1,500 children attended in 1911, later it was renamed Edge Hill, and amalgamated with Clint Rd to form Kensington Primary. The old school was recently demolished, the new building opening around 2003,   housing both Infant and Junior schools. And right, St. Joseph's school room of the convent of mercy, Mount Vernon Street as supplied kindly by Caryl Williams.

First known as Garston Free School, subsequently Garston National School and eventually Garston C of E. The first schoolmaster was local vicar James Holme who was appointed by Edward Norris of Speke Hall whom had rebuilt St Michael’s Church which had fallen into disrepair during the Civil War in 1707. Edward was a Member of Parliament for Liverpool from 1715-1722. The next vicar, John Norris, was also a teacher.

The building in Kettle Nook (left) had the date 1819 over the door. The building became more and more decrepit and in 1864 the school moved to premises on the corner of Banks Rd - see Banks Road school.

La Sagesse Convent home on Aigburth Road, Grassendale was just something else. See some more fantastic images and read of its history here

The Liverpool school for the blind, the first of its kind in Britain was orignially situated on Commutation Row but can be seen here in the 1920s on the corner of Hardman Street and Hope Street. For more information please read on.

Millwood, situated on Greenway Road, Speke opened as separate schools, Infants in January 1954 and Juniors in August of the same year. They amalgamated in 1990. At one time the intake was so big that junior girls were 'farmed out' to the girls' branch of Speke Secondary Modern in Central Avenue. The boys were sent to Stapleton Avenue, again attached to the boys branch of the Secondary Modern School (later Speke Comprehensive). The log book confirms that there were over 400 pupils on roll at the time, they moved into their new accommodation in September 1955.

St. Anthony's, pictured here in 1905, it dates from 1844 making it one of the earliest Catholic churches in Liverpool when it was founded by Father Newsham and built on Newsham Street off Scotland Road. 1820s. The school shelter was bombed in December 1940 resulting in a large loss of life. The school closed in the 1990s when it amalgamated with St Sylvester’s to form Mother Teresa's which itself has seen been demolished and rebuilt on Titchfield Street, Liverpool 5.

St. Bridget's, Wavertree on the corner of Bagot Street and Lawrence Road hails from 1876 and was enlarged in 1890.
St. Augustines Catholic primary school in Upper William St off Great Howard Street hails from 1896 and is also listed in Stone St. It could accommodate 900 pupils. St. Augustine's the "Martyrs’ Church" was opened by Bishop Sharples and Morris on 9 September 1849 as a chapel of ease to St. Mary's, Highfield Street. There was St Augustine's Cookery School in Little Howard St in 1911 Directory. Liverpool Record Office holds log books etc. for St Augustine’s and St Alban’s   from 1869 - 1960, this picture being supplied by Sue dates from 1994.

St. Johns infants courtesy of Ron Formby.

St George’s Catholic Boys’ Secondary Modern was in Mill Street, Dingle. It was closed in the Catholic reorganisation in 1983, the children transferring to Nugent Boys’ High School. The Headteacher at the time, Mr M Duffy went on to Our Lady of Fatima, the building was later demolished. This picture was taken by Kevin Willcott who was to die tragically young at aged just 21. The picture was restored and then passed to me by Jo Perry after her brother John Burns passed it to her. Taken from Mill View heights, it also shows flats around Mill Street and Laxey Street with Toxteth Tabernacle on Park Road and Colemans fireproof depository a little higher up Park Road

Our Lady of Reconciliation, Eldon St dates from 1867 having been built to cater for 1,200 children. It was captured here in 1971 by Bob Lynch but a smaller single storey school exisited during the 70s through to its closure in 2003 when it amalgamated with St Gerard's and Mother Teresa to form Trinity school. This itself closed in 2008 as Mother Teresa's was rebuilt.And on the right St Elizabeths school, Pennington Road, Litherland, Sefton.

Paddington Comprehensive School was built in 1968 on the site of a road called Paddington which was the continuation of Brownlow Hill into Irvine Street at Holland Place roundabout. In the 1980s it was renamed Archbishop Blanch but in this 1970s scene, the tenements near Smithdown Lane and Mason Street are still going strong as are Entwistle Heights and Milner House.

On the left Roberts School, Orrell, taken in 1939, and right, Christ Church School in Park Street, Bootle as seen in the 60s. A copper and a 'Z' car too.

Netherfield Road where South meets North. Also pictured is the building which housed St. John's Sunday School in Great Crosshall Street. This building is now being renovated as St. Patrick's Court apartments. A.J. Wright Electricians has been demolished and the site is being used for a high rise.

No wonder this pupil is happy. It's the 13th July 1967 so it can't be long before it's breaking up time for the six weeks summer holidays at Heyworth Street County Primary school. On the right we have another view of St. Oswalds R.C. School, Old Swan. There's one near the top of the page too.

Front and rear views of Aymestrey Special school in Acrefield Road, Gateacre in 1962 with thanks to Sirob. 
And........What are schools without their pupils. Can you see yourself or old mates?

St Cecilia's, Tuebrook - May Procession. Also here on 9th June 1968 are the first intake of Archbishop Whiteside pupils, Silvester Street after leaving Our Lady of Reconcilliation, Eldon Street.

St. Anthony's - Scotland Road, First holy communion in 1969. Also the cast of 'Little Billy' - All Hallows school, Speke, June 1969.

The last 60 senior girls to have left Bishop Goss school on 27th July 1969 as from now on, senior girls will be going to St. Gregory's, Prince Edwin Street. Girls include (left side of the pic) Maureen McHarron, Maria Strode, Clare O'Hara, Margaret Heywood, Irene Cahill, Pat Waters, Susan Welch, Ann Christian, Boo boo Daly, Margaret Birkett, Joan O'Donavan, Carol Saunders, Maria Daley,   Margaret Daley,   Linda Dutton, Christine Edge, Margaret O'Rourke, Kathleen Dunne.   (Right side of the pic) Maria Sallery, Kate Gallagher, Vera Strode, Nellie Doyle, Marian Labio, Ann Wheatman, Pauline Hughes, Linda Harkin, Maria Allen.

Miss Brockbank takes the register at Bishop Goss junior school, Rose Hill, Liverpool 3 and later she is seen photographed with her last pupils as she retires in 1969 after 49 years of teaching there. Amongst those photographed on the right, which are three separate years are Front: James Howie, John Colfar, Gerard Fagan, Brian Buchanan, David Collins, Brian Farrell, Frank Tasker and Paul Swan. Other present are; from left to right, Paul Cokeley, Paul Higgins, Brian Connor, Carol Hughes, Shirley Miller, Bernadette Bow, Paul Crowley, Frannie Sedgewick, Maria O'Brien, Michael Farrell, Tony Grierson, Tony O'Keeffe, John Grierson, Boo Clements, Stephen Littler, Joan Welsh and Brian Woods.

St Francis Xaviers infants school - 2nd Feb 1969

St Gregory's music class of Mr Connolly's circa 1974 including Michael Coakely, Chris Baccino, Joey Brown, Stephen O'Rielly, Brian Connor and Carol Hughes

Some In Colour

Beaufort Street school in better times and lying derelict in the 1990s. It has now been demolished.

Bishop Goss infant, junior and senior schools. Attached to St. Joseph's church, it was also known as St. Joey's school and mainly catered for children from Gerard Gardens/Crescent, The Grosvenor st/Comus st area and Lawrence Gardens   all Liverpool 3.

The remains of Blackstock Street school which runs up to Bevington bush and was used as a clinic to other schools in the 1970s.

Roscommon Street school, built to replace its ealier building seen higher up on this page is seen here from the front and rear. To the rear, just out of shot on the left was a tarmac footy pitch with floodlights which can just be seen.

Salisbury Street school, Everton Brow and Everton Brow school viewed from Netherfield Road North.

St Gregory's RCSM seen here from Iliad Street. It's main entrance was on Prince Edwin Street, part of which can be seen next, undergoing demolition in 2009. It was built in the mid 1960s and changed its name to Campion in the 1980s adter merging.

Daisy Street school in Kirkdale was originally a board school and contained its own baths underground. It was actually sited on Stanley Road, it's main entrance being on Daisy Street, it's rear facing Woodbine Street. Both catholic and protestant children attended there though they were given seperate play times and home times. So much for an integration of religions policy then. Pictured Right,The former St. Judes school off Anson Street near London Road. The building still exists as a gymnasium.

SFX - too good not to be in colour. This served a lot of the residents around the four squares district of Soho Street. Holy Cross school in the parish of the same name served the Vauxhall Gardens and part of the Gerard Gardens/Crescent area.

Kind contributions showing Pleasant Street Board School slap bang in the city centre. It has recently been renovated with the old sign retained. Venice Street Board School is in the Anfield regeneration area with all the housing around it currently undergoing demolition. Tiber Street County Primary school was another fine building we've lost

Two fine photographs supplied by Joe Neary, an ex scholar of St. Johns, Fountains Road, Kirkdale. The red brick building is of the type built elsewhere in the city such as at Bishop Goss and Wellington Road. Sadly, it was demolished recently.

Lister Drive School. Fine old Victoriana. Lost to arson after it lay derelict after closure. Supplied with thanks to David Mullen - TuebrookDave on flickr. Also here, Bond Street boys school near Eldon Street, Vauxhall when undergoing demolition.

St Annes School, Stanley (between Fairfield and Old Swan) in 1924 and a 1902 shot of Boaler Street school, Liverpool 6 with some inquisitive boys.

Bootle High as snapped by Dave Duff as it's about to undergo demolition. Feb 2010

This next batch are from a book published by the public relations office of the City of Liverpool Corporation concerned with the implementation of the city's building programme from 1945-1965 which obviously included a number of new schools.

New Heys Girls School

 Beechwood Day Schhol From Otterspool Prom         Anfield Comprehensive

    Gateacre Comprehensive                                           Arnot St Boys Secondary

                                                            Booker Avenue Infants School         

  Besford Road C.P. School - Belle Vale

Hillfoot Hey Boys School

Bankfield Secondary Modern and Blackmoor Park C.P Assembly Hall

West Derby Secondary Tech & Paddington Comp under contruction

Sudley Road Juniors, Aigburth

Childwall County College

Otterspool Special School

Lower Lee Special School

The Joseph Williams County Primary School was constructed on Sunnyfield Road at the Gateacre/Netherley border at Belle Vale in 1950 and indeed was opened in that October by Alderman Joseph Williams who was the chairman of Liverpool Education Committee.   Paul and Mike McCartney had attended Stockton Wood Primary School in the district of Speke where they were then living, but due to the population explosion after the war, that school became one of the most overcrowded in the country. This meant them being transfered to here, out into the countryside as it was then. Here we see it pictured in 1977 but Beatles fanatics day tripping to the area will be disappointed to find it flattened already.

St. Johns RCSM, Fountains Road and St. Alphonsus RC Primary, Stanley Road - both Kirkdale and both in 1976. Colin Wilkinson.

Lambeth Road Secondary Modern and St. Marys C of E Junior boys school on Archer Street off Westminster Road. Again, both in 1976. Colin Wilkinson.

St. Vincents RC Primary, Norfolk Street in 1975 and Birchfield Road County Primary. Colin Wilkinson.

Balliol School in Bootle showing bomb damage to the playground railings on 31st August 1940.

A: Anfield CP, Alsop, Allerton Road, Archbishop Whiteside, Alice Elliot, All Saints, Archbishop Blanch, Aymestry Special, All Hallows, Anfield Boys Comp, Arnot Street boys County Secondary,

B: Belle Vale CP, Broadsquare CP, Barlows CP, Bishop Goss, Broughton Hall, Banks Road, Blackburne House, Bluecoat, Booker Avenue CP, Brae Street, Beaufort Street, Blackstock Street, Bond Street Boys, Boaler Street, Bootle High, Bankfield Secondary Modern Boys, Beechwood Day School, Besford Road CP, Blackmoor Park CP, Birchfield Road CP, Balliol School,

C: Cross Farm CP, Cardinal Heenan, Cardinal Allen, Cardinal Godfrey, Cardinal Newman, Croxteth Comp, Christ Church (2), CF Mott, Childwall Sports College, Chatsworth Street, Crown Street Deaf, Collegiate, Childwall County College,

D: Dove Street, Daisy Street.

E: Everton Brow.

F: Florence Melly, Fazakerley Special, Friary.

G: Gateacre Comp, Garston CofE, Granton Road, Garston Free, Granby Street.

H: Holly Lodge, Harrison Jones, Hope Street Hebrew Inst, Heyworth Street, Holt Comp, Hillfoot Hey Boys High,

J: Joseph Williams CP,

K: King David, Knotty Ash.

L: Lawrence Road, Lambeth Road, Liverpool Girls College, La Sagesse, Liverpool Blind, Lister Drive, Lower Lee Special School,

M: Mathew Arnold, Much Woolton, Mable Fletcher College, Millwood.

N: Northway CP, New Heys Comp, Northcote, Norman Pannell CP.

O: Our Lady Immaculate, Our Lady of Reconcilliation, Otterspool Special School,

P: Pinehurst Road, Palmerston Special, Paddington Comp, Pleasant Street Board.

R: Roscoe Primary, Rudston Primary, Riversdale Tech, Ruffwood Comp, Roscommon Street (2), Roberts.

S: Shorefields, St Cleopas, St Edwards College, St Johns (2), St Hughs, St Marys, St Silas, Sudley Primary, St Charles, St Lawrences, St Finbars, St Oswalds, St Gregorys (2), St Annes (2), Sandfield Park, Speke Comp, St Francis De Sales, St Pauls, St Catharines, SFX, St Chads, St Kevins, Sefton Park, St Saviours, St Christophers, St Paschal Baylon, St Bridgets (2), St Margaret Marys, Speke County, St Vincents, St Edmunds, Seamans Orphanage, Seafield House, St Josephs, St Anthonys, St Augustines, St Georges, St Elizabeths, St Cecilias, St Philomenas, St Aloysious, Salisbury Street, St Judes, St Alphonsus,

T: Tiber Street.

V: Venice Street.

W: Walton Junior, West Derby Junior, West Derby Comp, Whitefield Road, Woolton.